The Fundamentals of Data Analytics Online Short Course provides an introductory overview of the basic principles of data analytics, in particular around topics such as data analytics techniques, types of data, business intelligence, data warehousing and advanced analytics such as predictive and prescriptive analytics. You will be able to acquire the necessary skills and tools for data analysis, and to understand where advanced analytics tools fit in, to prepare you for a career in the information age.
The purpose of this course is to develop a greater understanding of data analytics, in particular around topics such as data analytics techniques, types of data, business intelligence, data warehousing and advanced analytics such as predictive and prescriptive analytics.
The skills that you will be learning throughout this course include the following:
- Understand the key concepts and principles of data analytics
- Introduce the concept and the role of business intelligence (BI)
- Types of data and data warehousing
- Introduce the implementation of OLAP (online analytical processing)
- Data analytics techniques
- Data visualisation and corporate performance management
- Basic data analytics in Excel
- Advanced data analytics tools
The course has been designed and curated by Dr Adheesh Budree.
Dr Budree is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Cape Town. He holds a BSc in Computer Science, Information Systems and Economics from University of Natal, Durban, a BSc Honours in Information Systems from the University of South Africa, an MSc in Financial Economics from the University of London, SOAS and a PhD in Information Systems from the University of the Western Cape.
Dr Budree spent over a decade in the corporate world in various management roles for multinational organisations in information systems, data analytics, strategic planning and market insights and research. He has also consulted in both the public and private sectors in South Africa and abroad.
He currently chairs the Ecommerce Forum Africa. Dr Budree has served as a guest lecturer for Hochschule Neu-Ulm in Germany on their MBA program, as well as for postgraduate Information Systems program in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics at the University of the Western Cape.
Each of our LCIBS Online courses is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready to guide and assist their students throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor who is assigned to your course is trained to mentor each student to reach their potential and achieve their learning goals. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit of and complete this course, you are required to:
- Have a registered email account for notifications and communications
- Have access to a computer/laptop/tablet
- Have a stable internet connection
- Read documents in Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, or similar PDF viewer
- Have access to the Microsoft Office Suite (inclusive of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Mac OS Pages Application to create and read documents, as well have the ability to export documents into PDF files
- Use the latest version of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browser when accessing the Virtual Learning Environment
Certain courses will require that you have additional software applications. These additional software applications will be communicated to you when you register and enrol for the course. Any additional resources that will be required will be at the discretion of the registered student.
How You will Learn
This short learning programme has been designed and curated in manageable learning modules, which include diverse learning assessment activities.
- Access your course notes via the Virtual Learning Environment
- Learn while using our rich-interactive media, such as videos, infographics, gamification tools
- Enjoy the supplementary case-study readings in each module
- Participate and collaborate in discussion forums
- Apply your learnings to self-grading quizzes and continuous assessments